Chorley URC started out as an Independent chapel, known as ‘Hollinshead Street Chapel’ founded in 1792, which then later joined the Congregational Union.
The church became a member church of the United Reformed Church when several denominations merged in 1972 and then became known as Hollinshead Street United Reformed Church.
In 2003 when we registered with the Charity Commission, and after the closure of the other URC in Chorley, the name was changed to Chorley United Reformed Church. Our old name is still seen in the name of the uniformed groups we sponsor.
Our premises have been added to over the years in a very ad hoc manner. The church started with the space now known as the Sanctuary, although this was originally smaller and has seen many changes over the years. The currents halls were built as the local primary school which was open from 1883 to 1980 when the school closed they were converted for community use and the playground became the car park. The Church Rooms were added in the early 20th century.
Our forebears have left us with substantial premises in the town centre which are have been and continued to be well used by varied local community groups, organisations and agencies.
In 2020 we refurbished the Sanctuary, turning it into a multi-use space with modern heating, lighting and AV equipment.
From 2021 Community activities came under The Hollinshead Centre umbrella and we started to roll out The Hollinshead Centre branding. When we refurbish and extend the premises they will be known by this name too.